Tuesday, May 3, 2016

"El Angel Moroni Me Dijo..."

Thumbs up!
We had an interesting week, as evidenced by the title of my email. On Friday, we were at a Washateria hanging up English class fliers, and as we were about to leave, a drunk guy flagged us down from the car wash next to us, so we decided to talk to him. He definitely was not in the right state of mind, as he said "The Angel Moroni talked to me, and told me I needed to go to Utah, and you guys would take me there with you." (All in Spanish of course.) Pretty much he kept repeating himself and said a lot of things such as "I am from the tribe of Benjamin." Apparently he's been baptized into the LDS Church, but is now homeless and presumptuously an alcoholic, but I'm not 100 percent sure. I wish we could have helped, but there's only so much you can do. 

The problem is that virtually everyone has substance abuse problems of some sort, and aren't really willing to change. It also prohibits their ability to feel the Spirit. I don't write these things to complain, these are serious problems in society that need to be addressed, so my comp and I are wondering if an addiction recovery program could be started in the area. Honestly the biggest problem has been the destruction of the family down here. It makes me so sad to see so many broken and dysfunctional families. That definitely doesn't help things, especially when it's all you've seen from your parents, and their parents, and their parents, so on and so forth. It's helped me see the importance of setting goals to raise a family based on love, support, and The Gospel of Jesus Christ. Centering our families on Christ and His teachings helps us to have unity and happiness within our families. 

We've still been diligently trying to find those prepared to hear about the Gospel that will change their life, and still haven't found anyone that is really all that interested. We are going to start focusing more of our efforts on strengthening the ward and visiting less-actives, and it's gone well.

We're doing our best though. Christ makes up the difference, and that's comforting to know. Trust in the Lord, and He will never fail you. 

In answer to your questions:

1. I got my iPad on Wednesday at 8 week orientation

2. We got our packages and letters that had been sent to #635 in our apartment complex! The lady finally called us. Thanks for the package! Fruit snacks are always appreciated. Twix are too. 

3. I'm not sure when we can call next week, but I think there is a Skype app on our iPads, so we can do that. I'll let you know as soon as I can what time I'll call on Sunday.


- Elder Barrus

No comments:

Post a Comment